OVERVIEW: Prep: 35 min. | Cook: 30 min.
For the brownie layer
- Cooking spray, for greasing baking pan
- 1 box brownie mix, made with ingredients for fudgy brownies
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
For the cream cheese layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Prepare the brownie layer.
- Spray the bottom and sides of an 8x8" baking pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl make the brownie mix for fudgy brownies and stir in the food coloring and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared baking dish, leaving a few tablespoons in the bowl of batter for the top swirl.
Make the swirl.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, blend the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Gently spread the cream cheese mixture on top of brownie layer in the pan.
- Dollop the reserved brownie batter in random spots over the cream cheese layer. Using a skewer or the sharp end of a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake brownies for 30 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely before cutting.